You’ve got your Spinning® Instructor certification and can’t wait to coach, motivate and inspire a room full of eager students – in person! But what happens when the room’s not full due to Covid social distancing measures and class size restrictions are still in place? Here are some tips on how to make small classes an amazing experience for students regardless of how many bodies fill the room.
|When classes are smaller than you’d like, the most important thing to remember is that those participants who show up are expecting a workout – and it’s the job of an instructor to give them one. When class size is small, your energy, enthusiasm and dedication should be just as high as it is when the room is full. |
Small classes are a great opportunity to build relationships with your students and doing so will prompt them to tell others about your class. However, you may want to make some adjustments to your teaching style for a smaller class. Here are some tips for making your smaller classes beneficial for you and your students:
- Arrange the bikes in a circle. This formation creates a warm and welcoming vibe.
- While some students prefer small classes because of the personal attention they get, others are intimidated by the inability to hide in the back corner. Assuage their concerns by engaging in some friendly conversation at the beginning of class.
- Ask students to share music suggestions and do your best to accommodate them.
- Ask your students about their fitness goals, and design a ride that takes them into consideration. Doing so is likely to exceed your students’ expectations, increase their satisfaction and motivate them to tell others about your class.
- Learn your students’ names. By making them feel important and building a sense of community within the class, you’ll create loyal regulars.
- You’re more likely to receive feedback from students in a small group setting, so be sure to ask for it! Doing so will help you become a better instructor.
- Most importantly, if only a handful of students fill the room, relax! Enjoy the opportunities that small classes offer to make it a great experience for your students.
If you’re already certified, you may feel ready to infuse your classes with next-level teachings as gyms begin to open up again. So consider an additional certification like Rockstar Spinning® Instructor Certification OR SPINPower® Instructor Certification! If you’re not yet certified, there’s no time like this moment to begin. Start with a Spinning® Instructor Certification today!
Tips provided by Steve Unger; Photo Credit - Foundation Fitness, Annapolis